Triple .'. Point Index du Forum

Triple .'. Point
Recherche historique - Historical Research

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

On St Patrick and the smiths (the "Lorica",)

Poster un nouveau sujet   Ce sujet est verrouillé; vous ne pouvez pas éditer les messages ou faire de réponses.    Triple .'. Point Index du Forum -> LA VOÛTE ÉTOILÉE (BIBLIO) / VIRTUAL LIBRARY -> Corps de métiers /Old Crafts & Guilds -> English
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
triple-point
Administrateur

Or.'.: Montréal
Ob.'.: DH
Rit.'.: REAA
Log.'.: Delta 1572
Vén.'. actuel: M-F S

MessagePosté le: Mer 10 Sep - 04:41 (2008)    Sujet du message: On St Patrick and the smiths (the "Lorica",) Répondre en citant

St. Patrick's problem with smiths
See : http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/Poetry/StPatrick.html

Note: "Lorica" means "shield" (Christ) for protection. This prayer (almost white magic), also called also called "The Cry of the Deer" (in Irish, Fáed Fíada) was used to invoke Christ's protection against spells and evil men, including blacksmiths. Tradition has it, that Saint Patrick and his companion missionaries were to travel to the court of King Laoghhaire. Along the way, waiting in ambush, were druids or druid henchmen who intended to attack and kill Saint Patrick and all his followers. As Patrick and his companions walked, they chanted the Lorica. When they passed the would-be attackers, they appeared as a doe and twenty fawns - hence the title. Did Saint Patrick actually write the Lorica( ca 377)? As Thomas Cahill so well puts it "Characteristics of the language would assign it to the seventh, or even to the eighth, century. On the other hand, it is Patrician to the core...The earliest expression of European vernacular poetry, it is, in attitude, the work of a Christian druid, a man of both faith and magic."

Lorica

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation.

I arise today
Through the strength of Christ's birth and His baptism,
Through the strength of His crucifixion and His burial,
Through the strength of His resurrection and His ascension,
Through the strength of His descent for the judgment of doom.

I arise today
Through the strength of the love of cherubim,
In obedience of angels,
In service of archangels,
In the hope of resurrection to meet with reward,
In the prayers of patriarchs,
In preachings of the apostles,
In faiths of confessors,
In innocence of virgins,
In deeds of righteous men.

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock.

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's hosts to save me
From snares of the devil,
From temptations of vices,
From every one who desires me ill,
Afar and anear,
Alone or in a mulitude.

I summon today all these powers between me and evil,
Against every cruel merciless power that opposes my body and soul,
Against incantations of false prophets,
Against black laws of pagandom,
Against false laws of heretics,
Against craft of idolatry,
Against spells of women and smiths and wizards,
Against every knowledge that corrupts man's body and soul.

Christ shield me today
Against poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
So that reward may come to me in abundance.

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through a confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation

Most modern readers understand Patrick's reference to the spells of women (as witches) and the spells of druids (as sorcerers) - but the spells of smiths, that is blacksmiths, don't hold quite the same aura of menace that they must once have held. […] In medieval Scotland, they were believed to have powers of healing: it was generally believed that blacksmiths, particularly if descended from several generations of smiths, possessed preventive and therapeutic powers, provided that an exact ritual was followed which varied in different areas. According to the practice of 'laying' in the Highlands, the rickety child was washed with special water before sunrise and then placed with due ceremony on the anvil, when the smith passed his tools three times over the child.

In fact, for all the Celtic peoples, blacksmiths were considered magicians. And that is why St. Patrick placed them in the same class as witches and druids, whose powers were considered very real, but also dark and Satanic because the pagan gods they served were believed to be fallen angels or demons. (See 1 Cor. 10:19-21 -- "the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God," etc.)

Visiter le site web du posteur
Publicité

MessagePosté le: Mer 10 Sep - 04:41 (2008)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Poster un nouveau sujet   Ce sujet est verrouillé; vous ne pouvez pas éditer les messages ou faire de réponses.    Triple .'. Point Index du Forum -> LA VOÛTE ÉTOILÉE (BIBLIO) / VIRTUAL LIBRARY -> Corps de métiers /Old Crafts & Guilds -> English Toutes les heures sont au format GMT - 7 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Créer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation